LIGHTS.....

2001 Ford Ranger

2001 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge with a 3.0L engine. The lights on my instrument panel went out this week along with the lights for my heating and A/C unit. The fog lights and parking lights are also out the headlights, brake and turn signal lights all continue to work. No fuses are blown and I replaced and checked all the lights in my instrument cluster to no avail. Whats wrong with my lights?
Ranger78

Ok first I need you to check fuse number 11 it is a 7.5 amp, it is in the central fuse box behind the left (drivers) side of dash. If this fuse is good then I need to know if you have a digital multi meter so we can look at the instrument cluster dimmer and dimming module, this on the top left side of dash. If you have meter I need you to check the brown wire going to it. With the lights on does this wire have voltage? Also the ground for the instrument cluster is below the left front seat make sure it is good and secure. Get back to me and we will take it from there.

Racefan966
Ive already checked that fuse and it seemed to be fine I'm going to check that brown wire and the ground and I'll get back to you. Thanks

Ranger78
Ok great let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Racefan966
So it turns out that it was the headlight switch. There must have been some sort of short part of the switch had melted. I replaced the switch and everything is working again the only thing is that there is a little green light on the swith that is always on now (while the truck is running). I'm not sure if thats the way it's supposed to be?

Ranger78
Ok nothing say's what the green light is for so I will do some more searching. I do have a couple of questions however. Does your truck have fog lights? Do you have DRL (day time running lights)? Get back to me on that in the mean time I will look for why that light is on.

Racefan966
My truck does have fog lights but no DRLs. The green light is actually an LED attached to the switch assembly itself. It is used to light up little symbols on the instrument panel that indicate wether I have no lights parking lights or my headlights on.

Ranger78
It looks like the gem module might be telling it to come on as this controls all the lighting. Is the led on all the time or just when the key is on?

Racefan966
Only when the key is on.

Ranger78
So what symbol does it light up? I am looking over the wiring diagram for you lights and I don't find it. Let me know what the symbol is or include a pic. It don't look like the gem module could do that. So get back to me and we will take it from there. There is an orange wire with a black stripe that comes off your headlight switch does this have power all the time? I am not giving up so hang in there with me.

Racefan966
I'm uploading a pic of my light switch you can see the switch and the dimmer on the right. I've also noticed that if turn the dimmer switch all the way down so that the instrument panel is completly dark the fog lights magically come on I know that is not supposed to happen

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/355819_06151846_2.jpg

....

Ranger78
Page 1 of 2