POWER WINDOW WON'T CLOSE ALL THE WAY

2000 Ford Ranger

Interior problem
2000 Ford Ranger

My windows have been giving me problems. It started with the passenger side, and now the driver side is the same. I opened the door panel and inserted a bar to keep window up on passenger side. I can't do this to drivers side because I need to open it from time to time. There is a steel bar attached to a gear inside the door panel. Is there an easy way to fix this, so that when I push the button, the window will go all the way to the top.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this. I really appreciate it!
Truckownerneedshelp

Is the part broken? And what steel bar are you refering to?

Nothing is broken. I removed the door panel a while ago, but what I remember seeing was the window sits on a thin tray and this is attached to something like a camshaft. Then the gears are on the bottom of the camshaft. When the window rolls up and down as I push the button, the camshaft pushes this tray (tray is thin at bottom of window), up or down.

I don't know if someone tried to get into my truck and wedged the window down. But now it won't go up all the way. When it gets to the top, it makes a clicking noise like it used to when it was rolled all the way up, but it is not rolled all the way up.

Thanks for responding. Do you know how to fix this problem?

Truckownerneedshelp
Okay. I've got egg on my face. I opened the door panel and found the gears are stripped at the end. All I can think is someone tried to break in, pried the window down and damaged the gear teeth at the very end, the last 3/4 of an inch which is how low it stays from top when closed.

I looked in the manual and found that there is supposed to be adjustment screws to adjust the window higher. They do not show a picture or illustration of this. I found two screws that are brass, but when I loosened them and tried to move the window or assembly nothing happens. It seems the motor at the bottom has rivets.

I'd humbly appreciate it if someone knew the answer to this.

Truckownerneedshelp
I have had the same problem with my 2000 Ranger, no one tried to break in.

I actually stopped by the dealership today and they told me that the regulator is stripped. Quote was for $150 for parts and labor.

Jberkland
Jberkland, thanks.

I've been looking around the internet and generally speaking, a lot of people seem to have this problem.

Truckownerneedshelp
I also had the same problem, and while searching for a solution myself I came upon this site, and saw that you were having the same trouble.

I bought the gear and motor on ebay for 56.00
from napa it was like 120.00 just for the gear, and since I had it open, I figured what the hell.

do it yourself. took me about 20 minutes. heres what you do.

remove the screws that hold the black part thats by the inside lever and pull the cover. unplug the switches (small screwdriver helps for the lock tabs on the back side) set that part aside.

door pannel has 2 screws, one behind where the part you just removed, and the other is bottom corner.
pannel pops up, and then out.

drill and remove the 4 rivets, and take out the screw below.. you'll see it. its small and black.
now have someone hold the window in the 1/2 open position and slide the whole mechanism toward the front of the vehicle so the little thing that is in the window track will slide out.

now the whole window roller upper mechanism is free,

you need to have the friend holding the window pull it completly closed, and kinde roll the mechinism out of the hole. Done. its out.
reinstallation is these steps in reverse. put nuts and bolts with lock washers in place of the rivets. youll probably only get 3 of em, but that should be fine. mine works great now, and total out of pocket was 56.00 and about 20 minutes of my time..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/573729_iphone4_065_1.jpg

Scamps8888