LOCKING HUBS

1999 Ford Ranger

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 262489 miles

I have a problem with my ft hubs not locking in the axles turn when put in 4 wheel but the hubs wont lock in. I cant find anything that tells me where the soliniod is that controls the vacume
Richley

Easy check procedure to see if hubs are good jack up front tire and turn tire to access front of fender well then remove vacume hose from truck to wheel with truck off and suck on hose holding pressure in the line. Sounds wrong but trusted if you do and pressure remains in line hub could be locking so then while holding pressure turn tire to see if its locked. If the line does not hold pressure the hub is bad an needs replaced if it locks in you elimenated hubs from problem which is first place to check also check both sides because if one leaks both will let loose because the vacume runs from the same actuator pressurising both at once

93olds
The vacume silinoid on my ranger wich is 98 is under the right side of the front of truck behind bumper if you trace the vacume hose from the right hub back to the source it should run to a hose splitter 1 to 2 hoses wich comes from silinoid to splitter then a hose to each hub

93olds
You can also check the silinoid by removing the splitter so you only have the one hose coming from silinoid and starting the truck and having someone engage the 4 wheel but the vacume only pressure up for maybe 10 sec because it takes verry little vac to engage the hubs and once the lines are pressured the silinoid kicks out holding the pressure in the lines stoping the actual vac from engine so its best to be ready to check the vac from silinoid haven someone else in truck because of the short amount of time. If the 4 wheel is engaged and no vac then you have a vacume issue and it doesnt actually mean its the silinoid but your a step closer if you have vacume then your hubs would be next to check

93olds