4X4 WILL NOT ENGAGE

1999 Ford Ranger

1999 Ford Ranger V6 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

Hello I have a 99 ford ranger 4x4 auto trans. With a turn knob switch for engaging 4x4. When I switch from 2wd to 4wd high or 4wd lo the lights on the dash come on but front wheels never engage. I have checked all the fuses, and removed the electronic shift motor from the transfer case the motor appeared to work fine. Since the switch activated the shift motor I would guess that it is not the GEM, fuses or relays. Since this system is a " Vacum Pluse" system is there a vacum line somewhere that could be faulty or a O riing that is faulty, I do not fully understand how this system works I see alot of posts for this problem but no answers other than what I have checked. Any help is apprieciated. Thanks
Spyac3

[quote=" spyac3" ]Transmission problem

Hello I have a 99 ford ranger 4x4 auto trans. With a turn knob switch for engaging 4x4. When I switch from 2wd to 4wd high or 4wd lo the lights on the dash come on but front wheels never engage. I have checked all the fuses, and removed the electronic shift motor from the transfer case the motor appeared to work fine. Since the switch activated the shift motor I would guess that it is not the GEM, fuses or relays. Since this system is a " Vacum Pluse" system is there a vacum line somewhere that could be faulty or a O riing that is faulty, I do not fully understand how this system works I see alot of posts for this problem but no answers other than what I have checked. Any help is apprieciated. Thanks[/qu hello, you need to find out if the front end has seals at the front wheels for the hubs if it does then you probaly have a seal going bad. I hope this helps please let me know thanks pat

Fstranger302
Ok to start vacum hubs work by first when you put it in 4x4 the engine vac pressures up a canister with vacume and the vacume stays sealed in the canister throughout the lines to the hubs, when engaged the vacume pressure engages the hubs, but if a hose is broken the vac leaks out til it has no pressure and hubs unlock, I have an 98 4x4 and I know this by experience so anyone can call me on it but I found when I got mine that the right tire hube, the vacume hose to it right where it connects to the tire was cracked and it bleed the vac and hubs just disengaged so to start I would remove front tires and look on inside of assembly at vac lines for crack or anything then if no problem trace lines to engine looking for any problem if no problem remove vac line from engine and see if it is even getting vacume try this and get back to me

Korndsoilgrodope
I have a 1999 ford ranger 4x4 manual, how I found out front wheel drive was not working was the AC would not blow into the cabin at high speed or hard acceleration, I found a broken vac line on the right side, so I replaced it and AC works and so does the right tire engage. My left is an issue, The left locking hub is always engaged so I will work on that this coming week. I did find replacement MANUEL hubs at http://www.therangerstation.com (AVM Locking Hub)for 160.00 but I have not tried or bought them yet if I can not get the VAC ones to work property. While I am on that side I am replacing the 1/2 Axel it leaks and has a broken boot.

Aseidner