IGNITION MODULE

1996 Ford Ranger

1996 Ford Ranger 4 cyl

where is the ignition module located on a 1996 ford ranger pickup 4.0 engine
Wanda bosley

Your vehicle uses the GEM (generic electronic module) and it is located behind the center of the dash.

Bluelightnin6
I have a 1997 chevy pickup s10 I idles perfect put when you accelerate quickly it splutters and misses what it the problem

Wanda bosley
Does not have one all is controled through PCM. What is problem?

Docfixit
If you have an S10 then why you asking about a Ford ranger?

Bluelightnin6
Because I have both vehicles and I am not real good on a computer and I am trying to get answers to both before I lose this web site whichever one I can get running is the one I will drive Thanks for your information I really appreciate the help I hope this does not sound smart because it is not meant to be

Wanda bosley
No problem, just making sure you typed the correct vehicle in. For the Ford, like Doc said it does not have a separate ignition module, it uses the powertrain control module (PCM) and also has Fords generic electric module (GEM).

For the Chevy issue, is the check engine light on in the dash panel? Could be as simple as a bad mass airflow (MAF) sensor, but if you have engine light on then you should take it to local auto part store and ask them to retrieve your vehicle's check engine trouble codes. That will help pinpoint the issue. You can post the code(s) you retrieve here and I will follow up.

Bluelightnin6
I talked to you earlier about the 1997 chevy s10 the code showing up is 1336 we have replaced map senser crank senser cam senser IAC valve throttle position senser oxygen senser ignition module coil packs wires and plugs checked fuel pressure compressio timing chain we have pulled the head to make sure no valves were burnt It is about to cause me to go BANKRUPT I really like the pickup and would like to get it running Thanks for your help IT IS GREATLY A PPRECIATED and I can't believe I found someone willing to give me free help

Wanda bosley
1336 means you need to " teach" the computer to read the crank sensor correctly. You will need a scan tool for this.

Install scan tool
vehicle in Park or Neutral
engine coolant temp. At 158 degrees F
engage parking brake
block vehicle drive wheels
turn all accessories Off
enable the crankshaft position system variation learning procedure with the scan tool
raise engine speed to 3920 RPM and release throttle as soon as the engine cuts out

The scan tool should indicate that the crankshaft position system variation has been performed

Afterwards, use the scan tool and select DTC, CLEAR INFO. Then start and warm engine to normal operating temp. Select DTC, SPECIFIC, then enter DTC P1336. Operate vehicle. Scan tool will then indicate wether the test passed.

Bluelightnin6