FORD RANGER ENGINE PROBLEM

1991 Ford Ranger • 160,000 miles

Eletrical problem to fuel injectors. With ohmeter, With ignition in the on position, reading both positives from leads to injectors.I've changed ignition control module, looked at wireing harnesses. Engine runs only with starting fluid shot into the air intake. What more should I be looking at.
Jebber

What is litre size of engine? With key on, no crank, you will have voltage on both legs, no ground. With engine cranking, should be pulse on ground circuit. Was injector plug connected or unconnected when you tested? Another issue with your test could be more than one injector sharing the same ground. You would have to unplug other injector/s that share that ground. Hope I didn't confuse.

Can you check for applicable trouble codes?

Maybe I misread your post, you did an ohms test or voltage test on injector circuits?

Just to add, use a gage and check fuel pressure.

JDL: 4.0 engine. Voltage test. Injector plug disconnected.I tested with negative lead of my V, A, Ohms meter on metal of engine and positiv lead to either leads of injector plug with same results. Reads 12 volts with key on. Engine crank only small drop in voltage on meter.I have good fuel pressure. Could there be a bad ground or short.

Jebber
Use a noid lite to check for injector pulse. You might be able to use an led test lite to check for injector pulse, engine cranking. Can you check for trouble codes? How long since a tune-up?

JDL: How can I check for codes when engine doesn't run? I have electronic fuel injection, no distributor. I forgot to say THANK YOU for your input. To check for pulse, does plug need to be connected to injector? I will try tomorrow. Thanks again.

Jebber
You unplug injector to check for pulse. You can check some codes, key on engine off. Note the picture. You use jumper wire between two connectors. The connectors should be right front inner fender panel. When you hook up the jumper, key on, no crank, the mil on the dash may start flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. If that doesn't work, hook up analog voltmeter, like in the picture and count needle sweeps. It may take a few tries for you to get used to it. It can be two or three digit codes.

JDL: I hooked everything up just like the picture. No flashing on dash nor sweeps on my meter. My connections with meter were good for I was reaing 12 volts. Turn key on, only small drop in volts.I even tried different configurations with the hook-ups. Is it no codes no problem? Thanks.

Jebber
I think there should have been a code, 11 or 111. You may need to use a spade terminals on that jumper to get good connection.

JDL: With KOEF I read codes 21, 16, and24 on the EEC-IV test plug. Would any of these codes effect pulse to injectors?

THANKS.
Jebber.

Jebber