CHECK ENGINE DASHLIGHT

1994 Ford Ranger

1994 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 176000 miles

Only when I decelerate quickly from a fast rate of speed will the dashboard check engine light come on, and at the same time, I notice the tachometer's standard rpm of 750 Rpm drop to approximately 250 Rpm when at a stopped idle. It is at this time I also notice the engine sound like it is " starving, or struggling" to stay alive, but doesn't die.

When driving and stopping the truck normally, this never happens. I have checked serpentine, cables and their connections to the coil packs, etc.

I give up. Thank you for your help.
Cacher

When it dies down and starts runnin rough give it gas if it clears up and runs smooth it is the ignition system could be spark plugs

if it gets worse when you give it gas its a fuel problem like bad filter

the check engine light could be on with the bad spark plugs

also check to make sure your air filter is clean this makes all the differnce

if this dont clear it up get back to me I will go into more detail

Rangerdanger17
I'll check into all this weekend. As long as I don't do any heavy, quick, decelerating I notice I have no problems. Thanks again.

Cacher
No problem glad to help

Rangerdanger17
Hooked up the old (maybe the first) sunpro scanner and read codes 998, & 228.

Manual says 998 is malfunction allowing truck to be operated in limp home mode.

228 is primary coil failure-replaced the coils, four screws each-that was real hard, lol.

Master pro coils purchased at Checker Auto for 40.00 each with a one year warranty.

First trip was actually to Auto Zone in reference to my spark plug wires possibly being bad from them, and the clerk says return them. I said ok, thanks for the brand new plug wires at $0.00.

Went ahead and changed all the plugs while I was there, and since they were sitting in my toolbag for months.

Thanks everybody for the assistance.

P.S.-As far as the limp home mode is concerned I drove for a good week like this and had no problems at all.

Cacher
Good job

Rangerdanger17