IGNITION SWITCH

1991 Ford Ranger

1991 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 96k miles

My 91 ranger will not start from the ignition switch. Everything electrical (windows radio bells etc) work when the key is on but when I try to start it does absolutly nothing. I am able to jump the starter celinoid to start the truck. Is my problem the ignition switch or the ignition module? If it is the module were is it located and how hard is it to replace? If it is the ignition switch I have been told I have to pull the steering wheel and that sounds like something beoned my ability. There was no warning before it stopped working with the key. Thanks.

Monty
Bubbatin

First of all thank you so much for your donation. We need to do some testing before we say what the problem is. Do you have a multimeter or a test light to do some testing?You will need one of those.

Hi
Maybe starter solenoid with test light check red/light blue wire should light when key is turned to start. If it does ignition switch good solenoid needs replaced.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Ok Guys I did not have a meter or light to check the solenoid so I just went ahead and replaced it. This was not the problem.

Monty

Bubbatin
Like I said in my first post you need a multimeter or a test light. Other wise your just guessing and wasting money everytime you guess wrong. So if you get one then I can help you trace power. It could even be a bad starter but we won't know for sure untill we trace power to see what is wrong.

Ok I finaly got a meter to check power to the solenoid and there is no power getting to it. Whats the next step?

Bubbatin
I need to know what size engine you have so I can get you the correct wire diagram to walk you threw it.