FUEL SYSTEM PROBLEM

Ford Probe

I have a 1994 Ford Probe GT(160,000 miles). The engine will crank but not start. I have about 9.7volts going through the inertia sw. To the fuel pump. Is this normal? I checked the fuel pump relay and noticed that I have my Always 12 v when I put the ignition sw on but this too drops to 9.7V when I crank the engine. I know that voltage going to the inertial sw also goes to the FPM on the PCM. I thought maybe the fuel pump is bad dragging the voltage down so I disconnected the inertial sw. And the voltage still drops to 9.7V. I'm still not sure if I have a bad fuel pump or a bad PCM. Any Ideas?

jeffstmon
Jeffstmon

What does you main battery voltage drop to when you try and start the car? Have you tried to bypass the relay and give the fuel pump 12 volts and see if the car will start? Do you even hear the pump running?

Mikeybdman
Well it looks like the voltage drop is probably because of my meter.(Beckman Industrial RMS225) This leads me to believe that the problem all along was the fuel pump. (But then isn't that it 99% of the time!) By the way I did not hear any sound at all

Glad you told me to check the voltage at the battery

Thanks for your help,

jeffstmon

Jeffstmon