RUN OUT OF GAS EARLY

2005 Ford Focus

2005 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 46,000 miles

Last week I was driving my Ford Focus home from a job interview 150 miles. I filled up my 10 or 11 gallon tank the day before. I had put probably 250-270 miles on that day when I felt that car-just-ran-out-of-gas feeling. I was at 1/8 tank on the gas gauge and I figured I could make it 15 miles to the next town because the idiot light hadn't come on yet (the day before I drove with the low gas light on 10 miles to a town to fill up. Luckily, I got a ride and put 2 gallons of gas in my car. It started right up after sitting 30 minutes. I drove it 15 miles to the next town and put a few more gallons in and drive 40 miles home.

The next day after an hour or so of driving, I seem to run out of gas again, this time at 1/4 tank according to the gas gauge. Again I put in few gallons of gas, starts right up, I fill up at nearest station and have driven 150 miles since with no trouble.

The first time this happened I had just passed another vehicle. The second time was while I was passing. I just bought this car a few months ago with 41,000 on it. It was in an accident previously and the driver airbag, hood, side panel and passenger side headlight was replaced.

I talk to a mechanic the next day thinking it is the fuel pump, fuel filter, or maybe gas gauge. Mechanic says it's an engine problem as he knows someone that replaced the head, fuel pump, fuel pressure sensor and still has a bit of a problem. He concluded that I'll probably be fine if I keep above half tank. What do you guys think?
Rurba546

I don't mean to sound rude, but that is the dumbest thing I ever heard. What you questioned makes sense. What I would suggest is to check fuel pump pressure. I will provide directions. Replace the fuel filter. If the pressure is good, the fuel filter is new, then it is the gauge. I wouldn't say that if it wasn't the fact that the car started right up after you put a couple gallons of gas in it.

Here are the directions for checking fuel pressure. You will need a gauge. Most parts stores will lend or rent them to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Let me know what you find.