CAR STARTS DIES AND WONT START AGAIN

2002 Ford Focus

2002 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 146000 miles

My 2002 Ford Focus zx5 with the 2.0 Dohc engine was running fine down the highway when it started to sputter and then died. It wouldnt start back up for some time and became flooded. It eventually started and would not stay running unless the pedal was pressed all the way to the floor and it was running very rough at that time. It eventually died again and would not start. I took it to a ford dealership and they were at first thinking I had bad gas but ruled that out, they then decided that it was the timing belt. They said there were no codes present and that I was getting fuel and spark and they said the fuel pressure was good. I have since removed the timing covers and found the belt to be in tact with no missing teeth or anything. I am going to replace the timing belt as it is due according to the maintenance schedule but I dont think that this is the problem. Do you have any Ideas on what is causing this problem.
Davenmily

Hi Davenmily, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

Did you have a check engine light come on or has flashed prior to this problem and when was your last tune-up? Go ahead and do below and come back with some results-we start here.

Cranks but no start condition: Fuel and Spark: Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.