SOHC ENGINE KNOCK

2002 Ford Focus

2002 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 94,000 miles

I am getting a rather loud engine knock. It sounds like it is coming from the top end of the motor. Has there been a problem with the Focus that may cause this? Where should I begin to look? I changed the spark plugs and wires. No. 4 plug was a little wet. No. 1, 2, 3 looked okay.
Valkyrie

4 was wet with what? Oil? Gas?

Have you checked your oil level?

Blackop555
No. 4 plug appeared to be wet (damp) with gas. I had just changed the oil about a week prior to this and the oil level is good.

Valkyrie
Disconnect knock sensor and see if problem gets better or worsens.

Any check engine light?

Blackop555
The check engine light did come on. No. 2 & No. 3 cylinders are misfiring. I did check and change the timing belt and tensioner but this didn't change anything. No. 2 & 3 plugs are wet (appears to be oil). I was able to drive it slowly to a repair shop so they can help me diagnose the problem.

Valkyrie
Let me know if you want to check up on their prices and diagnostics to let you know if its a good word!

Blackop555
The diagnostic test revealed that there is no compression on No. 3. I was told there is probably a seat/seal on one of the valves that may have become dislodged. I am going to pull the head and take it to a machine shop. I was given a price of $325-350 to have the head rebuilt.

Valkyrie
That is a very very good price to have the heads rebuilt.

There is nothing wrong with that and that is a possibility for your problem. Did a wet and dry compression test get performed on that cylinder?

Blackop555