POOR RUNNING WHEN HOT

1981 Ford Fiesta

1981 Ford Fiesta 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 33000 miles

Hi, I have a Mk1 fiesta 1981 1.1L, the problem is: when I start my car and drive away from cold it will pull away lovely with just a touch on the accelerator, the pedal feels nice and light and responsive and the car revs freely and pulls along lovely, then as the car warms up it seems to bog down and needs to be revved harder just to get it to pull, and feels like I only want to use a light acceleration and change up as soon as I can because it seems to be killing it if I try and drag each gear out. I have changed the points, rotor arm, leads, dizzy cap, plugs, condensor, air filter, oil and oil filter, set the dwell angle with a dwell meter, set the timing but it still wont play ball, I am convinced it's once the car is warmed up that is causing the problem.
Andemk1fiesta

Check you have good fuel pressure from fuel pump when warm

Dave H
Hi, I have a spare fuel pump I could try, is it the fuel pump you mean? Plus, what could make it have low fuel pressure when warm, that would be really handy to know.

Andemk1fiesta
A worn fuel pump will give low pressure and the car will eventually stop running

Dave H
I understand that but you said check I have good pressure from the pump when warm, wouldnt the pressure be just as bad when it was cold too?

Andemk1fiesta
You should check when cold. Then when hot. The pressure will be slightly lower when hot if the pump is failing internally. You shouold have at least 35psi to keep the car running

Dave H