F350 LOUSY BRAKES

1995 Ford F-350

Brakes problem
1995 Ford F350 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 106554 miles

I have a 1995 F350 dually, quad cab 2 whl. Drv. Diesel, auto trans. This unit has the stanard brake sys (not Hydro-Boost) Never really had good brakes but now have gotten worse.I tow moderately with this unit. Problem occurred couple weeks ago, the pedal has gotten extremely hard pedal. Having had similar problem on a GMC unit I was certain it was in the rubber lines but no such luck, then replaced the power booster unit still no help, wondering if it could be in the ABS sys. Or proportioning valve. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also have one other thing going on with this truck, when driving on expressway use turn signal when changing lanes trans. Acts like it down shifts. Had different trans. Installed several months ago and still doing the same thing. HELP!
Midwest517

Hi
Would you expand a bit on Lousy? Like low pedal? Hard? Pulls to left or right?
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Thanx for the reply. Actually after doing a little more research regarding my lack of brake problem I discovered that apparently Ford Diesel Pickups have a fairly common problem with the Vacuum pump going bad and that seems to be what was causing my problem. Checked my pump and found it was only pulling 11in. Of vacuum, after installing a new pump the truck now has the 20-23 in of vacuum and the brakes are better, not perfect, feel like they need to be bleed one more time. Thanx for your help. Still don't understand the down shift problem when I use my turn signal though.

Midwest517
That's what I thoughjt need more info as for turn signal that makes NO sence at all. No connection what so ever so a few? Has thie always happened? Start after Trans work? Trans either down shifts or not seems to not helping. Is trans in OD when it happens? Does RPMS go up? Truck have electric brake for trailer?

Docfixit
Regarding down shift situation. Truck does have electric brake for trailer. Had the same symptoms with previous trans. Truck is in OD. Rpms do iincrease.I'm thinking some type of ground problem in steering column or turn signal mechanism. It's a weird one.

Midwest517
Is it possible the brakes lightly apply? Are other functions on turn signal lever?

Docfixit