F250 TURBO DOESN'T BOOST AND LOTS OF BLUE SMOKE

1997 Ford F-250

1997 Ford F250 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 325000 miles

Hi, when I start my truck up in the morning it kinda starts and then dies and i'll start it again and it will fire up. Then I let it warm up and start driving. It seem that when I go up even a little hill it will loose all boost (i have a boost gauge in) and it blow lots of blue smoke, also I can then hold the pedal to the floor, still no boost and it won't go over 1000 rpms and I have to keep pumping the pedal to finally get it to spool up and blow out the blue smoke and then it will drive fine. But it's getting worse and worse that even when I shift now I loose all boost and it takes forever to get it back. If you could help me out on what it could be and how I can repair it that would be awesome. I just put glow plugs in last fall, changed the fuel filter yesterday, and the problem is just getting worse. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Larson_eight

Sounds like you may have a bad turbo. The blue smoke is oil burning, which can be coming from rings, turbo seals, many different places. Might want to have a shop that specializes in Diesels look at it before you do some serious engine damage that could cost alot more

Jack42
Would the bad turbo make it run rough when I start it up. Like today I drove it this morning and then shut it off. And went to start it up again and it cranked over, started and then died again. And I turned it over again and it start but still wouldn't go over 1000rpm even with my foot on the gas all the way down for a while.

Larson_eight
Bad turbos can do alot of things, they are part of the induction system.I recommen you have this truck looked at before further damage happens.

Jack42