SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER

Ford F-150

My truck is a 1995 ford f-150, about 140,000 miles. Recently my speedometer and odometer stopped working. When the truck moves, the speedometer instantly maxes out, and the odometer always reads" ERROR". I was thinking it was the vehicle speed sensor, but I do not know where that is located, or how hard/expensive that will be to replace/fix. If you have any other ideas about what could be the problem, please let me know. Thanks.
Pnolsen

I believe the speed sensor is located at the back of the transmission on the driver's side. It's only a work of the moment to remove it and put a new one in, however I don't know how much a new one costs. I hope this helps.

Indyuke
Sounds like you need a new speedo cable, usually hooks up under the dash or at the back of the insrument cluster, and then runs out to your tranny, diconects with one bolt.

Sketchbal1
I checked and replaced the speed sensor. It was in the rear differential. That did not work, both are still broken. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Pnolsen
The sensor in the diff. Was for the ABS. That has nothing to do with your speedo. Check the rear of the transmission for the speedo cable or speed sensor

Heavyduty