HELP NEEDED PLEASE. RECENT PROBLEMS WITH TRUCK ()

2001 Ford F-150

03/23 Did give somebody a jump start whose battery was dead. Left scene and all appeared fine. Simply providing for context in the event it could have a bearing.

03/25 - Battey light came on - Had it tested & replaced as it showed as needing to be changed

03/25 Light still would go off so had the alternator checked and this was deemed to be bad & changed

Left shop all appeared fine

03/26 Service Engine soon light came on and engine running rough. First on steady and then blinking. Car was driving very sluggishly

03/27 Took car to mechanic who put it on diagnostics and said it hit 2 misfire codes. Fixed problem (moisture) and saif all diagnostics checked out fine

03/28 Service Engine soon came on again and ran VERY sluggishly. Barely got back to the Repair shop

03/29 Repair shop is telling me that I need a new Catalytic converter and bill is $ 2,500(in California). The diagnostics however are not leaving a trace of the problem per the mechanic. Ive read that these should last the life of acar so am just worried if it could be something else. I've never had any problems with my Truck in the past and now they keep coming

Any suggestions appreciated.
Montjack10

Well under federal law it is illegal to tamper with the catalytic converter unless it has failed. So if the shop says it has failed then it probably has. If not then they can get in big troubles for fixing something that isn't broken!

Godbear839
There is an epa warrantee on catalytic converters up to 80,000 miles

Muleman
Can you get the actual codes to us? That would help us. Also, what type of engine do you have? 4.2, 4.6 or 5.4? I assume it's a gasoline engine.

Catalytic converters can go bad, either they burn out and the guts fall apart, or they clog up. If they burn out check engine light will come on with a code pointing to the cat, and you won't have a hope of passing emissions. Most mechanics just swing down under the vehicle and wack it with a mallet and listen for any loose pieces inside.
When they clog up, they cause some of the symptoms you describe. You will be able to start the truck and drive for a tiny bit before it becomes sluggish, you will have NO power and it might even die. This is akin to plugging up the tailpipe with a potato or something. This will almost always happen on a consistant basis, and progressively get worse. The check engine light will most likely come on as well, but it might not always throw a code pointing to the cat. Instead it will point to something else that is affected by this condition. I hope this info helps. Lets us know what the codes are if you still have them.

Indyuke