F150 POWER STEERING GRIND

1988 Ford F-150

Steering problem
1988 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 147000 miles

About a month ago I replaced the steering gear box and power steering pump along with new hoses on my 1988 F-150. Everything worked great until this morning when a loud grinding noise could be heard inside the cab apparently from the power steering pump. The sound only occurs when the steering wheel is turned, however, even the slightest pull on the wheel produces the sound leaving me to believe the new pump is faulty. Am I on the right track or are there other things that could cause this? Is there something I can do to check the pump before pulling it off (as this is incredibly fun on this vehicle, ha).

Thank you for your help.
Wcwcwc16

Did you check the power steering fluid level? Usually when the pump whines it is from low fluid or high pressure. Make sure your hoses are not kinked. Hope this helps. Feedback and votes are very much appreciated.

Mastertechtim
The power steering fluid was the first thing I checked. It was full. The hoses are metal near the gear box and rubber coming up to the pump with no kinks or even bends. I picked up a new pump on warranty and plan to change it out this weekend unless you think it might be something else.

Also, the sound really isn't a whine as much as a growl or grind. It sounds much more severe than a whine.

Thank you for your input!

Wcwcwc16
Yeah id probably pop in a new pump. Thats about the only thing that it can be. Let us know if it fixes it.

Mastertechtim
Fords tend to have noisy steering try this, turn wheel lock to lock and see if it gets quieter when it does that, that mean theres air in the system if that doesnt do it you may have to live with it.

98rangerxlt