INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

Ford Explorer

I took my 2003 ford explorer the ford dealer to have the oil changed and when I picked it up it was fine. However, that same day when I turned the car off and then turned it back on for later use none of the instrument gauges worked. Windows would not roll down, the 4x4 would not work, the paddle lights would not work, etc. I took it back to the dealer the next day and they said it wasn't anything they did b/c they only changed the oil. They connected my car up to the computer for diagnosis, then checked and replaced fuses trying to assess the problem. Two hours later they said they believed the problem to be the instrument cluster. Okay I have them order the part and replace it as according to them the instrument clusters just go.

I pick up my car after they have had it for over a week and I am told that I need to bring in the keys for reprograming of the car. I take the keys in and wait for the reprograming. Once they say its done I go and get into the car and notice that the paddle lights on the vehicle still don't work and the interior lights are not working either. I go back in and tell the serviceman what is going on and he tells me that that part may have missed reprogramming and that I need to bring it back in tomorrow for that.

I do so and when I call to get my car I am told that they could not fix the problem b/c there is another problem, their diagnosis found that the central junctin box has an internal short and needs replacing, the cluster cost me over $300 dollars and now they say that this part is going to cost me $280 dollars. Do these parts just go out? Do they go out in conjuction with the other as they have stated? Should the computer diagn. The first time have been able to determine that both parts needed to be replaced the first time?
Bratie1

Do all these problems happen at once. If so I would suspect a main fuse or a relay problem, if ok, the G.E.M. Which controls the fuctions metioned, could be bad. When you got it back did the gauges work?

2CarPros Ken
All of these problems happened after I picked up my car from having the oil changed. When I got the car back from having the instrument cluster changed it was then they told me that the junction box needed to be changed since the paddle lights on the car would not work or the internal lighting when you open the doors.

Bratie1
That doesn't look good. I would take it to a different dealer for a second opinion.

2CarPros Ken