IDLING SPEED WENT TO "ZERO" AND ENGINE QUITED

Ford Explorer

I am a poor student and own an old 1995 Ford explorer(134K miles, 4D, 2WD, auto transmission). Recently, I did oil change and then a new problem appeared. When I started my car, the engine speed gauge showed around 1500 rpm with the noise. But when I loosed the key, the engine speed was suddenly shown a sharp jump down to below 300 and the engine sound also almost disappeared. Mostly, the engine quited working and sometimes the idling speed automatically jumped up to over 800 rpm in half second. And I could feel the shaking of the car at ā€œPā€ gear. I searched on website about this issue. Someone thinks it is because the idle air control motor failed to work? What do you expert think about my situatioin? How much if I have to replace it(part? Labor?) Please help me, I really expect and appreciate any advice from you.
Luke920

The Idle Air Control Valve will definately do that-that's your 1st area to look at. Who knows taking it out and cleaning with carb cleaner will fix it.

See below for location

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_1995_Ford_Explorer_IACV_1.jpg

Hi Rasmataz, many thanks for you reply. I will go to see mechanic this week. Before I go, I would like to know how much this IAC part will cost and also how long labor for replacing it, could you please send me some ideas? I am so upset to repair my truck so often. Again, Thank you very much!

Luke920
Base on today's market dunno about the labor-it varies on locations $60-120.00 per hr.

Price: 1995 95 Ford Explorer Idle Air Control Valve

Amount: $92.79 shop around for the cheapest shop-if not attempt to take it and clean it out-might save the money for the kids for Christmas.

Thank you very much. I will keep you informed: ->

Luke920
Please! Do so you're one of our valuable customer and feel free to tell friends and families about 2carpros. Com Thank You

Rasmataz, you are great! Finally, I went to autozone to buy a new one($61) and replaced the old one in a garage ($30). Though I feel a little bit upset because I could have replaced it by myself when I saw they replaced it so easily! Anyway, the problem has been solved. Hope the information is helpful for other people. Thank you, Rasmataz.

Btw, they told me that the upper ball joint (with arms) on the left front side is bad today. I am just wondering WHEN I have to replace it. This old car already ate me too much money. I mean, in what bad situation, I DO have to replace it? Now there is no any noise from there when I drive. I appreciate it!

Luke920
Is there anybody who can give me a suggestion how to check how bad my ball joint is? Thank you.

Are you there? Rasmataz?

Luke920
Is it making noise-if so you might consider checking the bushings 1st bounce the car up and down while you feel the bushing-you can tell if its coming from there. Just the feeling to it. Then comeback