GAS MILAGE AT HIGHER ALTITUDE

2003 Ford Explorer

2003 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 126000 miles

I live in New Orleans and my gas milage runs about 15-16 mpg in town 18-19 mpg on the hiway. I recently took a trip to CT and I noticed my mpg significantly improved (18-19 mpg in the city an 22-23 mpg on the hiway). When I asked my local Ford dealer if there was some kind of adjustment could be made to the computer he kinda blew me off saying there is no adjustment to the computer. I find this hard to believe. Is this true? Or is there something I can do. I love my explorer, and would greatly appreciate any help I could get to solve this problem.
Benjamin Rock

Hello and thanks for donating

This actually has nothing to do with the vehicle's computer or electronics. It is actually more of a science thing. When the vehicle is in higher altitude, such as when you were on your trip, there is less dense air and a reduction of the engine power. The engine having less strain means the MPG will go up. Going to lower altitudes means the air is a bit thicker which in turn puts more strain on the motor and once again lowers your MPG.

Bluelightnin6
Ok, you explained why I got better gas milage, but didn't tell me what I could do about it now I am at a lower elevation.

Benjamin Rock
You can make sure your vehicle is up to date with tune ups such as fuel filters, oxygen sensors, air filters, cleaning fuel injectors and make certain your tires are properly inflated. As far as the lower elevation is concerned, it's just how it works and there is no way to program the computer to think it is at a higher elevation.

Bluelightnin6