O/D CHECK TRANSMISSION LIGHT

2002 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer Engine Size unknown Four Wheel Drive Automatic 85,000 miles

In February of 2007 the O/D, check transmission light illuminated. Vehicle was taken to local dealership and for $750 the solenoid was replaced. Since that time it has illuminated 3 more times (each time we took it to a Ford dealership, there was no further resolution). We were told each time that what was done in the first instance was the normal course of action. The last occurence we also had the " check engine light". However this last time they said the " check engine light" was due to an ABS module failure and this was not tied to the O/D check transmission light (seems like a coincidence).

I had the Ford dealership do $1000 worth of brake work in April of 2006, now they want to charge $900 to replace ABS module and they are no closer to fixing the transmission issues. How do the mechanics ascertain that the ABS module is/was the problem when the " check engine light" illuminated? We were not experiencing any braking problems. Can the two " seperate issues" -check engine and O/D check transmission be tied together?
Mike McClintock

Only if the concern has to do with the rear speed sensor. The computer for the engine and transmission (same computer) gets its reference for vehicle speed from the ABS system. This would possibly explain why the check engine light comes on as well as the O/D light. If you ask the what code the computer is producing I can possibly help more. My guess is a P0500 code.

Flexy5