DOOR AJAR

2002 Ford Explorer

Interior problem
2002 Ford Explorer V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 99,500 miles

My door ajar light has been staying on, after car is shut off, as well as when it is driving down the road. Sometimes it might go out, and sometimes it goes on and off (door ajar, door not ajar). Doors will lock and unlock by themselves, and alarm will go off for no reason. I have read to wd 40 the latch- where exactly is that located? Just a note - our rear driver side window is off the track, but this did not start when that happened. If you could also let me know how to get the door panel off to get the window back on track that would be great.
Laniesjourney@yahoo.com

I am having the same problem. Are your dome interior lights staying on until they finally go off on their own? Whenever that is. I had the same problems you described did you ever get a response?

Quinnsft34
The door ajar warning/interior light switch is located in the door locking mechanism. (Door latch). The switch sticks. Spray WD40 onto/into lock area to lubricate it !

Dave H
Thanks for the previous answer. I am also having a problem where my interior lights don't go out after the car is off and the doors are all shut. I guess they go off after 15 minutes or so because the battery is never dead when I go out to start my car again. To go along with that my panic alarm thing keeps going off at random. I assume all these are related.

Quinnsft34
These faults could be related to the door ajar switch sticking. The other option you have, is to have the vehicle's computer read by ford's diagnostic tester !

Battery Saver
The battery saver is activated when the instrument cluster module is not receiving voltage input from the ignition switch (OFF position). The instrument cluster module will then provide ground to the battery saver relay coil, activating the relay, for a period of 10 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the off position, or a maximum period of 30 minutes with the interior lamp (headlamp) switch in the on position or a door is ajar, provided that the instrument cluster module does not receive any other input signals within the time-out period. The activated battery saver relay switches voltage to the demand lamp circuit. After time-out, the instrument cluster module disconnects ground from the battery saver relay coil, disabling the demand lamp circuit.
Inspection and Verification
Verify the customer concern by operating the system.
Visually inspect the following for obvious signs of electrical damage: VISUAL INSPECTION CHART
Electrical
Bulbs
Power distribution/junction box (PD/JB) fuse 2 (30A)
Circuitry
Vehicle security module
Instrument cluster module

If the concern remains after the inspection, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle: check that the program card is correctly installed.
Check the connections to the vehicle.
Check the ignition switch position.
If the diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool manual.
Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with: CKT 914, CKT 915 or CKT 693 = ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to MODULE COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK.
SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs, and carry out self-test diagnostics.
If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to Instrument Cluster Diagnostic Trouble Code Index.
If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to the SYMPTOM CHART.

Dave H