HEATER CONTROL VALVE ISSUES

2002 Ford Explorer

Heater problem
2002 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 91,000 miles

Hi,

Thanks for reading. I have a 02 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0 SOHC with 91K on it During the summer I was coming back from a trip w/ A/C going all of a sudden cold air was blowing out the defrosters.. I pulled down the glove box door to see if the vacuum solinoid was working for the door. It wasn't no matter what position I put the switch at. Looking at the vacuum diagram on the hood wasn't really wasn't to much info there. I pulled the vacuum solinoid off to see if the door was jammed. It wasn't either.

My question is where is the vacuum coming from to feed this switch so I can trace it out without gutting the whole dash. In my mind I think its probibly the switch but just want to eliminate a vacuum issue before I go an pick up a new switch. Thanks

Mike
Niverville, N.Y.
N2jve

Mike: The vacuum comes from the engine intake. You need to follow it through the firewall then to the engine. Based on your description, it sounds like vacuum is the problem.

Thanks Jacob! I did find the problem Where the red line from the plentum connects to the black line near the FPDE sensor that goes to the resivoir. Right at that connection was melted in such a way I never seen it because the wire loom was covering that exact spot and never showed any type of melting or burn mark. Like I said in my first post I just wanted to eliminate that I did in fact have vauuum at the switch Wlll its fixed now. And thank god I didnt have to rip half the dash apart to do so.

Mike

N2jve
HI,
My name is Calvin and I have a problem. When I turn my switch to heat I get a clicking noise and no heat comes out. Only cold air. It is getting cold and I need a heater with the kids and all. Can anyone tell me what to check befor I dig into the dash and all?

Thanks!

Calvinelliott