ADDING TRANSMISSION FLUID..

2002 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Explorer V6 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

my son is 16 and wanted to change his own oil and ended up draining the transmission fluid and overfilling the oil pan we drained the oil but can not find where to add trans fluid and there is no dip stick on this car. The car will not go forward or reverse.
2002explorer

Unfortunatly this was one of Ford's dumber ideas. There is no dipstick! The drain plug, which your son removed, has a threaded plug in the center of it, which requires a torques bit to remove. Ford made a special tool to thread into this hole. It may be available now through off-brand retailers but i'm not sure of that. Then you are suppose to connect a small hose to the tool and pump the fluid into the trans. You can use a single quart container with a pointed tip and turn it upside down and accomplish the same thing by squeezing the bottle. The trans is full when the fluid runs out at a steady drizzle, while the engine is running with the trans in Neutral. If you have drained the fluid, though, I would suggest adding two quarts first without the vehicle running, then start it and place it in Neutral. Remember that if the vehicle is not on a lift, block the tires in both directions and and apply the Park Brake. Use only Mercon V fluid. Trans failure can (and will) occur if the wrong fluid is placed in the trans.
Good Luck.

Flexy5