SPEED SENSOR

2000 Ford Explorer

2000 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

where is it located, and best way to install?
Rcissne

Hello and thanks for donating

Just to be certain, which sensor are you replacing? Vehicle speed sensor, ABS speed sensor, etc.?

Bluelightnin6
VSS SENSOR

Rcissne
The VSS is attached to the transmission, the best way to replace it is to first disconnect battery cable. Then raise and safely support vehicle. Detach the electrical wiring from the VSS then unbolt the VSS from mounting location.

Bluelightnin6
You guys are good.
Where is the sensor located on the trans?

Rcissne
Sorry my mistake, your vehicle actually uses a rear axle sensor rather than a VSS. It is connected to the rear axle housing by one bolt and the electrical connector.

Bluelightnin6
What is the sensor on the rear axle called?
I went to parts store he said it was a brake sensor of some type.
He also sold me a vss and said it was located on the side of the trans.
I do not have much faith in a parts guy, but I really would like to know where that vss is located, maybe a diagram?
Thanks riley

Rcissne
It is simply called the rear axle sensor, some may call it a rear speed sensor, should have a red/pink and a light green/black wire running to it. It is part of the ABS that also works as a VSS. I'm not certain why the parts place sold you a VSS for, I am 99% positive that there is no separate VSS on this vehicle aside from the rear axle sensor.

Bluelightnin6