REAR DIFFERENTIAL

2000 Ford Explorer

Tires and Wheels problem
2000 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Good afternoon,
My question is my erar differential is leaking fluid according to the shop mechanic, he siad it had to do with my break fluid, now I just ha a ton of work on the rear diffential.
What fluid would be leaking from your rear differential?
Also my Rpm have dropped? When im doing 50-60 or 60-70 they should be in between 2.5 - 3.5 and its way low in between 2 - 2.5 why all of a sudden the past month could this be?
Rayray0300

Did they replace the differential? If they did and changed the gear ratio, it would have an affect on your RPM's at highway speeds. Also, since the vehicle is a 4x4, you can not have two different gear ratios in the front and rear differentials. That will case major problems. As far as a leak, is it gear lube or brake fluid? You confused me on that one. Also, where is the leak located?

Let me know.

You answered my questions very well. Im not sure weather or not it is gear fluid or brake fluid. However as for the rear diff was replace 2 years back. The rpm change just started to occur so im thinking it must be something else. The rpms are much lower then they should be when shifting gears? All though it is automatic trans I still notice the difference. Thank you so much for assisting me.

Rayray0300