DIFFERENTIAL PROBLEMS?

2002 Ford Explorer • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 163,000 miles

2002 Ford Explorer V6 XLS rear end makes whining noise when accerlating, stops when I let of the gas, I have replaced the diff fluid today and noticed a few metal shavings, what is this, and can I fix this myself?
Bdanielson89

Indicates pinion bearing and/or pinion gear and ring gear wear need to have backlash checked. Differential rebuilding requires specfic skills do would not recommend a DIYer to do this. Fill it full of LUCAS gear oil and drive it

Docfixit
I put in Valvoline and an additive reccomended by the local napa store owner, do you think this will buy me more time? I got an estimate today and fix would cost 1200 at the very least, I have to drive it to work its my only vehicle any other tips?

Bdanielson89
Whine in pinion is not a death sentence can drive many miles. I would drive it and if it goes swaping rear end from salvage yard much cheaper way to go.

Docfixit