NO BRAKE LIGHTS

1998 Ford Explorer

1998 Ford Explorer V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Having a problem with the brake lights on my Explorer. I have no regular brake lights when the pedal is pressed, but the third brake light (LED) works fine. The weird part is that even when the brake pedal is not pressed the third brake light continually flashes at a very high rate, almost like a strobe. As a sided note I also noticed that the door locks stopped auto locking when you put the vehicle in gear at about, or the exact same time the brake light problem started.

What I have tried so far:

1 Checked bulbs and fuses
2. Checked brake light switch (LED third brake light still flash even when brake switch is disconnected)
3. Checked turn signal switch (LED third brake light still flashes when disconnected completely)
4. Checked wiring in steering column and under dash and could find no visible shorts or damage to wiring.

Any ideas? I don't know what to look at next.

Thanks!
Dastine

Most common is the combination switch on the steering column

put 4way hazards on off on and then check if they work

BMRFIXIT
Thanks, but no good. No matter what I do with the emergencies. As mentioned, the third brake light continues to flash even when I completely disconnect all the wiring from the turn signal switch.

Thanks again for your help.

Dastine
3RD brake light u said its working
and again combo switch has no control over the 3rd brake light
but the power to the side brake lights run through the multifunction switch
very very common for the switch to go bad
good luck

BMRFIXIT
I have exactily this same issue. I have a 1998 Explorer, AWD, about the same milage and the problem is the same.

Did anyone come up with a fix for this?

Moevinger
If signals are working and 3rd brake light is working
multifunction switch no good
have it checked

BMRFIXIT
Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem. I have a 98 Ford Explorer with the same problem. I've checked all the wiring, it's ok. The only thing I haven't done is check out the multifunction switch. I do have a book that shows how to do that so that will be my next step. Any input or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks SkipperDan

SkipperDan
I checked out the multifunction switch and it is ok. I did find on my stop light switch that has five wires in the plug that two of wires on the plug are hot. I don't believe that this is incorrect. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SkipperDan
Step on the brakes does the 3rd light work

BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_503.jpg

BMRFIXIT
Yes, third light does comes on when brakes are applied. The strange part is when everything is off the top mounted third brake light flickers light a strobe light! What's up with that? SkipperDan

SkipperDan
Page 1 of 2