WON'T IDLE

1997 Ford Explorer

1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

Help! My 1997 Explorer won't idle. It will start, barely, if you are giving it gas. As soon as you take your foot off the gas pedal it dies. Please help.
Thank you.
Oldredexplorer

Is the Check Engine Light on?

If you cannot get the vehicle to your local Autozone to have codes pulled, they do it free. Take the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) off and clean it out with some carb cleaner. It is mounted on the left side of the intake manifold.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_97exploder6cylIAC_1.jpg

Obxautomedic
Thank you for your quick reply. No the check engine light is not on. I had trouble starting it a couple of days ago, but got it going. Now it won't idle at all. Can a diagnostic be done even if the check engine light isn't on?

Oldredexplorer
Yes, it may not show anything.

Look for vacuum leak(s).

Obxautomedic
What do I have to do to check for a vacuum leak? Is this something I can do myself or does a mechanic have to do it? Our financial position isn't very good, so I would like to try to fix anything I can myself.
Thank you for your time, Danielle

Oldredexplorer
Just take a look at the vacuum hoses if they are cracked or very soft they should be replaced. If you have any doubt about a hose take it off block off one end use a rag over the other and blow through it if you hear air leaking then replace it.

Have you removed and cleaned out the IAC Valve. The valve may not be bad just carboned up and not openning or closing and cleaning it may fix you problem. It sounds like either a vacuum leak somewhere or the IAC.

Obxautomedic
I will try your suggestions later tonight after I get the kids to sleep. Thank you for your time. I don't have a lot but if I leave a donation will you get it?

Oldredexplorer