POWER STEERING PROBLEM?

1995 Ford Explorer

Steering problem
1995 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer, and when I turn, the steering wheel shimmies and shakes. I checked the power steering fluid and it is full. Could this be a problem with the pump?

Thanx
JAVAF

Bad pumps usually whine, this could be the steering column itself, and if it is, it's not real safe to drive, have it looked at quickly!

Merlin2021
Was it in the air latley? Up on a lift that is?

IF so drive it a few days and it should be fine.

IF not, there may be air cavitation in the pump which may be able to be drawn out. But if not, then the pressures in the lines should be checked for excessive pressure.

I just recently had my fuel pump changed so im assuming it was up in the air because before I took it to the shop to get the fuel pump done it steered fine. Do you still believe this is dangerous to drive? Thanx for your quick response.

JAVAF
Hey I took your advice and drove it around a bit and it quit shaking. Thanx for your advice and I really appreciate the quick responses. Just one question, why did it do that? Thanx again!

JAVAF
I'm not sure why it does it. Every once in a while it happens. First time I ran into it I freaked out trying to figure out what the heck happened, but it went away while driving, and thats how I handle it now.

Good worp P. I havent run into this one. YET! My guess is the tires tip in, when up in the air.

Merlin2021
Do you think it is a separation in the suspension? Ball joints stretched out? Struts? Lol. I'm really at a loss to understand it. I can't see how the power steering would be affected.

As Spock once said " unknown Captain!&Quot;

Merlin2021