TRANSMISSION FLUID CHANGE

Ford Excursion

I have Ford Excursion 7.3L diesel and I need to change the transmission fluid. I have done many a car but never this truck. Is there a filter in the tranny that I should replace? What would you recommend for a new tranny fluid to put in? Is there a kit for this if there is a filter then the gasket should be replaced as well, right?

Thanks!
Bruce Hunt

I know nothing specific about that particular vehicle, but I've been inside hundreds of automatic transmissions, and can't recall a single one that DIDN'T have a filter. It seems to me that a 2 minute phone call to your favorite auto parts store would tell you if a kit was available, and if it includes a gasket (I still can remember the first time I bought a transmission kit and was told that the pan gasket was EXTRA! What kind of idiot would re-use the old gasket?) As far as fluid goes, use whatever your owner's manual says, and don't forget to drain the cooler and lines. Some F*rd torque converters have a drain plug, don't forget to put it back if you find one and drain the converter.

Have fun

Otto