WON'T IDLE..

2000 Ford Escort

2000 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 97000 miles

Dual over head cam.
Car won't idle and will die if I let it. Runs normal over 2000 rpms.
Please help.
Thank You,
Rob.
P.S I'm sorry I couldn't donate more. When things are better I will get back and make it rite.
Lipits

Hi
Most common cause is vacuum leak either at intake or EGR maybe stuck open. Get some carb cleaner spray around intake if leak as soon as spray hits will stablize idle. Check for any vacuum hose off or brakes. If all good remove EGR decarbon pentile.
Let me know

Docfixit
I checked all the vacuum lines I could find and thought maybe I found one that was the problem. I replaced it but still won't idle. I found a picture of the EGR valve online but can't find anything like that, where is it?
Thanks,
Rob.

Lipits
Look on intake near oil stick tube also maybe faulty Idle Air Control solenoid it is on throttle body where accelerator cable attaches

Docfixit
Ok Thanks. I'll see if I can't do that over the weekend and get back to you on Monday. I was reading up on the EGR and it looks like its something that can be cleaned and maybe get workin again before I'm forced to purchase a new one. Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it works out.
Have a great weekend,
Rob.
Oh the Idle air controller. Is it on the opposite side of the throttle cable and can it be cleaned also? Looking at the motor from the front bumper, the throttle cable is on the left and there is a controller thing on the opposite side that I thought looked like maybe was a choke cuz normally from that side it would be a choke. If this was a Normal Carb Throttle body, I would have just rebuilt the Carb.
Again thanks for your help.

Lipits
Yes can clean both EGR and IAC with IAC off see if pentil is closing ie. Can't blow air from one passage out the other.

Docfixit
Ok so There is a long plastic hose with a silicon based elbow on each end that connects the exhaust whatever valve to the EGR valve on th intake. It runs around the motor under the electronic ignition. That hose had a crack in it almost in the middle of it. Replaced it and its runnin great once again.
Thank you for all your help.
Rob.

Lipits
Great that was good detective work you nailed the leak.

Docfixit