FRONT WHEEL BEARING INSTALLATION AND REMOV

1999 Ford Escort

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1999 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

need to replace front bearing. Saw a tool kit at harbor frieght that claims to be able to remove and replace bearings with out taking spindle strut mount, etc. Off -thus saving huge time and alignment. Does this type of tool work well? What would be the directions for using this type of tool. PS. I have never removed wheel bearings b4.
Fontana

Ok first don't buy that tool it will not do what you need it to do. I would call around and find if one of your local parts store will rent one or find a shop that has a press and will do that part for you.
First you need to remove the axle nut from the center of the wheel. Then loosen the lug nuts and jack up the car and put on jack stands and reomove the front wheel. Now you remove the brakes and rotor and then loosen the lower ball joint and tie rod end and loosen the lower strut mount and remove the steering knuckle and take it to a shop and have them press the old bearing out and the new one in and then put it all back together and have it aligned when your done. Here are a couple of pic hope this helps.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_91108_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_36.jpg

Racefan966
Thanks for the info on the harbor freight tool, and the steps to replace bearings by removing the wheel spindle.

Removing the spindle and having the bearing pressed out seems like it is difficult to do, and will probably need wheel alighnment.

If the harbor freight tool won't do it, are there "bearing installation and removal tools" that do work without removing the spindle? And if so, what is the procedure using this type of tool.

Thanks a lot for the help

Fontana
While it may be worthwhile to have this tool handy if you will be doing a lot of front wheel bearings. Have you considered tool rental? How about this one?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_648741_1.jpg

You can go to your local CSK/O'Reilly stores (Checker, Schuck, Kragen or O'Reilly) and ask them for Rental Tool Kit #27, part number 648741, SKU 8454878. You pay a deposit (which varies by localities), you can have the tool for 2 days, then return it for your deposit back (keep your receipt, though). As they won't return it without your original receipt.

Zackman
How does the tool work? Do you just have to take off the axle nut and then just pull out the bearing somehow? Or do you have to remove the drive axle from the hub first somehow?

Is removing and replacing the wheel bearing using this tool easy to do or might I experience difficulty/problems? I'm using a borrowed garage and I cant leave the car there very easily if something goes wrong.

Fontana
It works best with air tools as with hand tools it is very hard to get that bearing to move. It is in there very tight and then the road grime and such can make that thing take several hundred pounds to get it started. It is much easier if you take it to a shop and have them do the pressing part on the bearing and you do all the work of taking it apart and putting it back together.

Racefan966

Fontana
You are welcome if you have any more questions just ask.

Racefan966