ENGINE RUNS ROUGH

1995 Ford Escort

1995 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

When I pull away from a dead stop the engine seems to flutter and has no power. I feather the gas pedal an the problem goes away. This will happen only once or twice a day. Not every day. I have put in new spark plug wires, new fuel filter, new ign. Coil and ran fuel injector cleaner through the system. I have also cleaned the element in the Mass air flow sensor.I've run out of ideas. It's the wifes car and if I can't fix the problem, she wants a new car. HELP
Burstifer

Ok I am thinking it may either the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) or the Throttle Possition Sensor (TPS). Now both can be tested. Next time you have this problem unplug the MAF and see if that improves it, if so then that is the problem. Now if that don't change anything then I would like to check the TPS with this you need a digital multi meter and a paper clip. Now at the TPS plug you will use the paper clip to back probe the gray wire with the white stipe and then hookup you multi meter. Now set it on 12 or 20 volt scale which ever you have on your meter. Now turn the key on engine off and you should get a reading of .8 to 1 volt throttle closed. Now slowly lift the throttle and the voltage should increase steadly with no glitches or drops in voltage. At full open throttle you should get 4.5 to 5 volts. Let me know what you find and we will go from there. Here is a pic of the TPS.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_265699_1.jpg

Racefan966