"SERVICE SOON" LIGHT

2006 Ford Escape

Computer problem
2006 Ford Escape 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

FYI this Escape is a Hybrid.
I do most of the service on my autos and need to turn off the " Service Soon" light that dings and comes on every time it is driven. I wouldn't take it to the local dealer even if they were still open because of their history of lieing and poor service.

This is the first time using your service and am not familaer with it yet, but it would have been good to have some idea what is ment by a " small donation"?
Louisianajones

Need to have it scanned for codes
Please DO not open the hood and try to work on it

Hybrid car require a special tools and much of experience and knowledge
you are dealing with a very high voltage that will instantly kill you

WARNING: THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH HIGH VOLTAGE CABLES, COMPONENTS, AND WIRING. THE HIGH VOLTAGE WARNING LABELS CONTAINING THE HIGH VOLTAGE SYMBOL ARE LOCATED ON EACH HIGH VOLTAGE COMPONENT. HIGH VOLTAGE CABLES, AND WIRING ARE ORANGE IN COLOR. CERTIFIED RUBBER INSULATING GLOVES AND A FACE SHIELD MUST BE WORN WHEN WORKING WITH THE HIGH VOLTAGE CABLES, COMPONENTS, OR WIRING. THE IGNITION KEY MUST BE CYCLED TO THE OFF POSITION FOR A MINIMUM OF 5 MINUTES, AND THE HIGH VOLTAGE TRACTION BATTERY SERVICE DISCONNECT PLUG PLACED IN THE SERVICING/SHIPPING POSITION BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE HIGH VOLTAGE CABLES. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.
DO NOT DISCONNECT, DISABLE, OR TOUCH THE HIGH VOLTAGE CABLES, COMPONENTS, OR WIRING DURING THE MODULE REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE BECAUSE HIGH VOLTAGE IS PRESENT. THE HIGH VOLTAGE WARNING LABELS CONTAINING THE HIGH VOLTAGE SYMBOL ARE LOCATED ON EACH HIGH VOLTAGE COMPONENT. HIGH VOLTAGE CABLES, AND WIRING ARE ORANGE IN COLOR. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

BMRFIXIT
I have already replied to the answer received once and have not heard from anyone. I assume reply to question means replying to the answer to my question that apparently wasn't answered correctly?

The light I am refering to is NOT the service engine soon light nor is it the check engine light that is shaped like a motor on my vehicle that would be read with a OBD II reader and are associated with emissions. I have checked it with my reader. There are no codes.

The light I am refering to is the Service Soon light and is shaped like a mechanics wrench. The Owners Manual says to take it to the dealer for service. They are closed and so is the one in the next town. Acording to a local independent shop the light is for typical maintenance such as changing the oil, air filter, low break fluid, etc. They didn't know what needs serviceing or how to turn the light off. All service is complete as far as I know and I just want to turn the stupid light off to see if it will stay off, or do I need to keep looking for the cause and it will clear itself once corrected?

I was laid off work in December of 2008 and the ten bucks I paid for the quick answer is begining to be about as importatn as the stupid light. At this point I haven't found out how to get my money back on your web site but would still settle for a complete answer to my question.

HOW DO YOU TURN THE LIGHT OFF?

Is anyone out there or is this place a scam?

Still waiting, Mike

Louisianajones
Book shows many ways of doing it this is what I have

to reset- press trip/reset button on the I/p cluster, " go to setup menu hold reset" will appear. Then hold trip/reset button and release. Then it will display " system check hold reset" - press and hold trip reset, dont release- will display- " hold reset if new oil", then release. Turn ignition off for approx. 5 sec- turn ignition back on to verify reset with no messages.

The ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON message will be displayed on message center when remaining engine oil life is 5% or less. The ENGINE OIL CHANGE NOW message will be displayed when engine oil life is 0%.
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100%, press SET or SELECT/RESET control to access the system check function. Press and release the SET or SELECT/RESET control to display OIL CHNG XXX% HOLD SET NEW.
Press and hold the SET or SELECT/RESET control for 2 seconds to display OIL CHANGE SET TO 100%. Oil life is now reset.
CHANGE OIL SOON/OIL CHANGE REQUIRED

MESSAGE- PROCEDURE 2
To reset oil life feature, press and hold the OIL CHANGE RESET control for 5 seconds. The message center will count down for 5 seconds. If reset is successful, message center will display OIL LIFE RESET TO 100%.
CHANGE OIL SOON/OIL CHANGE REQUIRED MESSAGE- PROCEDURE 3
With System Warning Displayed (CHANGE OIL SOON/OIL CHANGE REQUIRED)
Select OIL LIFE XX% RESET IF NEW function from the SETUP control for current display mode.
Press and release RESET control to display " IF NEW OIL HOLD RESET".
Press and hold RESET control to display OIL LIFE SET TO 100%. Oil life is now reset.
Without System Warning Displayed
Press SETUP to display " PRESS RESET FOR SYS CHECK".
Press and hold the RESET until " IF NEW OIL HOLD RESET" is displayed, then release.
Press and hold RESET control again until OIL LIFE SET TO 100% is displayed. Oil life is now reset.
CHANGE OIL SOON/OIL CHANGE REQUIRED

MESSAGE- PROCEDURE 4
Select OIL LIFE SET TO XX% from the SETUP MENU for the current display mode.
Press and hold TRIP/RESET control switch to reset oil change.
Press the TRIP/RESET control switch for the next SETUP MENU item or wait more than 4 seconds to return to the INFO MENU. Oil life is now reset.

BMRFIXIT
Thanks, that responce makes sense.

Louisianajones
The mechanics wrench if I remember has to do with the Hybrid transaxle assy and needs a shop level scan tool to retreive codes as most consumer level scan tools won't do some of the newer Higher speed code retreiving that is now common place.

Also as the other guy said, the Hybrid part is 330volts and without training, shop manuals, and such It's not something most shops will touch outside a dealer.

If you hate the dealer, try another dealer that does hybrids. Dealers are like independant shops, some are great and others are questionable

Mjr346