BATTERY LIGHT

2002 Ford Escape

2002 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

The Battery light comes on after starting when you depress the accelerator. It is off on idling. I had the battery tested at Advnce Auto Parts and it shows 494 CCA. Starter Test was cranking normal. Charging system test show Essesive Ripple but is charging at 13.84 v, 3.2 a. Any ideas. Is the alternator going bad?
Iskigordon@aol.com

Hello –

Advance Auto parts should be able to tell you if your alternator was putting out steady and if bad. If they are not sure then go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O’Reilly’s (OR) and for FREE they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

If the alternator checks good then it may be your belt tensioner is not keeping proper tension as the spring may be weak.

Make a small donation! (We will make sure your question will be answered promptly and it will help us be able to continue to help others - Thanks)

We hope you had a very Merry Christmas and have a safe New Year

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Thanks for the advise. I took the truck to a repair shop who identified that the alternater was defective. This was replaced and all is well now.

Iskigordon@aol.com
Hello –

I am glad your vehicle is fixed. Thanks for the update

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Recall_Escape_1.jpg

ImpalaSS