IDLE PROBLEM

2001 Ford Escape

Engine problem
2001 Ford Escape 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 260000 miles

" I have a 2001 ford escape v6, automatic transmission w/ 260,000 miles. It started a few months back, when I would start the engine from a cold position, the engine would sputter and engine idle would fluctuate, but never stalled. Driving would be fine but when coming to a stop sign the engine would sputter, stc again. After a few mile the engine would be fine even if I re-started the engine, until the engine cooled down again. Now, 6 months later the engine sputter and stalls at idle position unless I give alitttle gas while holding the brakes down. The service engine light also came on with trouble codes P1506, P1131, P1151, P0171, and P0174. Is all this related to the idle air control valve, MAF sensor, O2 sensor, etc.&Quot;
Archalf

I have same vehicle, and I am going though the exact same thing right now. I thought maybe I asked the question. That is how exact our problem is.

I have replaced the Air Idle Control Valve. Fixed for 72hrs, Then I replaced the downstream o2 sensor 1 and 2, fixed problem for about 2hrs. I have replaced the PCV valve, didn't change a thing! I have cleaned my throttle body, air flow tank, MAF (mass air flow sensor) with cleaner. Did nothing to resolve the problem?

My Check Engine light has stopped lighting up though, battery light remains on as well as the choppy idle, sputtering, and killing it self.

POS Ford
Replaced the Fuel Filter! Completely backed up, the fuel that came out was black and full of dirt! Taking it in to have fuel system cleaned. Hope that helps! Runs like a champ now.

POS Ford
I have a 2001 Ford Escape that had a cold start ( idle ) problem that I fixed. It turned out to be a lower intake gasket. It has around 100,000 miles on it with no problems. I figured it was time to change the plugs and found out you have to remove the intake manifold to get them. After I replaced the plugs and put it back together the car started having problems idleing when it was cold. When it warmed up to operating temp it ran fine. As it was trying to idle while cold it would idle up and down, almost shaking the car at times. I figured I didn't seal something right so I took the intake manifold off again and put another new set of upper intake gaskets on and put it back together and still same problem. I started searching for a vacumn leak and noticed a leak at the base of the lower intake tubes. I was releasing gas from a propane torch around the intake and when I ran it by the front lower intake the engine reved up. The two lower intake tubes have the fuel injectors attached to them. I pulled up these and replaced the gaskets at the bottom. The car seems to be running fine now. I never even took these lower intake tubes apart originally when I worked on the car but apparently the smallest amount movement must of unseated one of the gaskets.

Hartberg
Good to hear you. I will put that one in my memory vault.

Mastertechtim