HARD STARTING THEN ROUGH IDLE UNTILL WARM

2001 Ford Escape

2001 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 185000 miles

the engine is hard to start in the morning. It will take three trys untill the engines starts. Then a rough idle. I must keep the rpm over 1000 to keep the engine running. I live not far off a major hyw. So I keep it over 1500 rpm untill the engine temp. Is normal. Runs great then. I also found that if I just turn the key on and off thee times, untill I hear the fuel pump run an shut off, the engine will fire up the first time. Still runs rough untill warm up. Thanks in advance for your help.
Bobstocksr

I had the same problem about 4 months ago, I then decided to take care of it because I got tired of the issue every morning AND evening at work when I leave.
First I decided to change Gas Stations and put better gas, then check battery which needed to be replaced, then decided to learn more about my car so I can start do basic stuff on it instead of taking to somone else who would not give a crap about your car's life.
I started with a tune up, changed my spark plugs, I put one of the best brands did it all by myself and alot cheaper and very satisfied because I know what I put in my car, then changed all my vacuum hoses, hoping to get rid of the check ingine light, took all the EGR system apart and cleaned it till it became like new, then saw this thing on youtube about SEAFOAMING, so I seafoamed my car too and it made a big difference too, changed the fuel filter which NO body ever changed or even mentioned, changed my oil and oil filter once again I put the best oil and best oil filter and about the same price they charge you and express lube for a crapy oil change and they not always change your oil filter. Last thing I did is changed my DPFE which took care of the check engine light for good.

After all this steps my car now runs alot better, starts up like new and smooth ideling and alot cheaper then taking it to a shop where they will charge you over $200 just to change your spark plugs when you can do it yourself for $50 at most if you know what you are doing.

Good luck.

Zamo95