OVERHEATING

1997 Ford Contour

Engine problem
1997 Ford Contour 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

the car is overheating. The thermostat was stuck closed so I removed it.I have checked all the hoses, flushed out cooling system using a product made by Prestone and refilled with 50/50 antifreeze. It dosen't leak, all belts are tight and waterpump is fine. Do you have any ideas as to why it is still overheating? Thank you.
gary
Westg731

Are you cooling fans coming on? Also did you install the thermostat facing the right direction?

Blackop555
Thank you for your response to my question. Yes my fans are working.I did not replace my thermostat yet. I figured it would help it run cooler till I find out what is wrong. After starting the car, it only takes a couple of minutes before the engine is in the red. And I also checked out the temp gauge to be sure it was working. If you have any other sugestions, I would be thankful.
Gary

Westg731
In that case make sure your coolant is full and the radiator fins are clean. May be a bad water pump, that has been worn down.

Blackop555