TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS..

1989 Ford Bronco

1989 Ford Bronco V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 186000 miles

I was wondering if you could help me with a possible diagnosis. My Bronco (which I love!) Has trouble with the transmission. When put into drive, it seems to be slipping. When at a stop, I can either get it to go VERY slowly naturally, or give it good gas (3,000 RPM's) for it to take off ok. It seems to be worst in 1st gear; 2nd, and 3rd seem sluggish, but ok. I do know it has a shift kit in it from a previous owner. I am wondering if it is just the torque convertor you think, or possibly the shift kit has worn out the bands. Or possibly the clutch packs? ( I'm not even sure it has clutch packs.) I do not have alot of money, but will do whatever it takes to get it better. If you can help me I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks Guys, You Rock!
Voodoochl

Hi: If it only seems to slip sometimes, then chances are the clutches (clutch packs) are good. Most times, you will notice clutches slipping in a higher gear when there is more torque from the engine and it has more of a load on the transmission.

What does the trans fluid look like? Is it dirty? Does it smell burnt? Is it still bright red? Is it full?

Let me know. Also, when was the last trans service?