EAGLE TALON FUSE PROBLEM

1995 Eagle Talon

1995 Eagle Talon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I put in a new battery and just in the last few days its been smoking near the alternator area. I have no power what so ever. Nothing works. Please can any one give me some ideas on what to do and look for.
SouthernCmfrt61

Hi Is wiring to Alt burnt? Was there starting p[roblems prior to batt install? So no gague lights, radio etc working?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
I guess I need to refresh that. I was able to drive about 10 miles then my lights started going dim, radio click on/off several times and and then I saw smoke coming from passenger side of engine. 10 mintues later it started again but when I put it in drive and released brake to go it stop running and wouldnt start again. It sat for 4 days and I got it started and went 5 miles and then there was smoke again and everything quit. Lights, radio, all electrical. I havent been able to see if anything is burnt near or on alternator.
Will donate more money on Friday the 19th payday

updated 2-17-10
Yes I had starting problems before putting in the new batt. Also the area where all the relays are in engine comp. I was told the fuseable link that was missing was for my alter. So I replaced it with what I think is the correct one. Its a 60 amp and I went to auto zone website and its said its suppose to be 100 amp. Could this be the problem cause I changed the fuseable link before batt.I had radio, lights after I changed the battery but

now it wont start or anything electrical dont work. Thank you, Wendy

SouthernCmfrt61
Would remove Alt and take to Auto Zone for testing suspect alt fried. Check F1 fuse 120A in underhood box. Need test light check for voltage at that box. If anything blown replace but first disconnect alt. Wiring KEEP insulated. See if it will run.
Let me know

Docfixit
Need a test light start checking for voltage at all fuses in engine compartment fuse/relay box

Docfixit
Thank you so very much for all your help ! It was the alternator, battery and idler pulley. I did it myself when I put the wrong fuseable link for the alt. It was suppose to 120 not 60 so I fried everything. A mechanic friend of mine fixed it for me. I bought the parts and he only charged me $70 for labor. Again thank you, Wendy Vollmer

SouthernCmfrt61
Always good to hear a happy ending

Docfixit