WHAT IS THE ISSUE

1993 Eagle Talon

1993 Eagle Talon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 134304 miles

ok I just bought a eagle talon today and it was a good deal only I dont know what the issue is. The guy told me its a spun rod or bearing but said I needed a new crank heres a vid of the car when he started it, maybe you can figure it out. He said the guy who he bought it from didnt put oil in it when he drove off with it.
it shut off cuz the alternator belt wasnt on but you can still hear the tapping
BabyShanks

Dead link? Not found. Anyway, if it has a spun crank or rod bearing, it will need major engine work. Dissasembly is required to determine how much damage occured.

Merlin2021
But it will start up, when it does it sounds like cams are tapping but he said its the crank.
the link works just put that into the url and youtube video on when he started it.
i just need you to watch the vid so you can hear and see what im talkin about since your the experts i would really like your advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oaOTpvDrrg

BabyShanks
Remove the valve covers and see if anything broke up in there. What does the oil look like? Any metal shavings?

Merlin2021
The oil looks clean and just been changed nothin looks dif in there, did you see the vid?

BabyShanks
I saw it, can't tell from vid, but pull valve cover and inspect. Only way to find it is a compression test. That will tell you if a cylinder problem exists. Oil pan removal and bearing cap removal may also be needed if you find nothing at the top end. I would start at the top and work my way down.

Merlin2021
Ok thank you but from what you seen do you suspect it to be a crank issue? Or bearing issue?

BabyShanks
If it's a bearing, rod or main, the crank will have damaged journal(s) and need to be reground, or replaced, if you are lucky, it's valvetrain noise!

Merlin2021
Lol I hope I am I did also just find out it will start but when I try to let it idel it dies so could that be an alternator issue as well or still wit the same issue

BabyShanks
I would not keep starting it now, figure out the bearing problem, the electrical should be a bit simpler to deal with, but it may be close to siezing. And not even electrical!

Merlin2021
Well we took the head off and found we had a bent valve but the pistons still look good

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/390431_S7000589_1.jpg

BabyShanks