TRANSFER CASE POPS OUT OF 4-WHEEL DRIVE

2001 Dodge Truck

2001 Dodge Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160, 00 miles

My truck will pop out of 4-wheel drive as I accelerate from a stop. This happens when in either high or low. Linkage looks ok. I have a small vacuum leak somewhere on the truck. Could this be related and how does vacuum interact with the transfer case?

Thank you,

Jim
Jimmyj20639

Does the transfer case pop out of 4wd or does the front differential pop out? Will it go back in on its own when you lay off the throttle?

Mastertechtim
It is the transfer case. It will not go back in on it's own. When I pull back on the transfer case control (4-H) I can feel it trying to engage. It will stay in for a few seconds as I accelerate then I put it back into 2-H then bring it back into 4-H. The handle in the truck will stay in place.

Thanks for your response!

Jim

Jimmyj20639
Jimmy I think you are going to find that the snap ring on the output shaft has broken. This is not the end of the world. Are you a little mechanically inclined? Remove the rear drive shaft and the rear output housing on the transfer case, its held in by 4 bolts. Pop the cover off and look at the shaft and see if the snap ring is not latched onto the ring on the shaft. Replace the snap ring and reassemble

Mastertechtim