RANDOM PING SOUND

2004 Dodge Stratus

Noises problem
2004 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Manual 73,000 miles

I am hearing a random ping sound while sitting idle with the engine running. The vehicle is running fine, there are no warning lights but the sound is like a steel drum being tapped. Any ideas and suggestions for correcting this? The sound is coming from the driver side of the vehicle.
Coldsteel120

I'm stumped at this point, Mine just started the same thing, except I have an automatic trans. I won't be able to pull my pan until Saturday though.

Steelworker
Steelworker,

I have an automatic also and it sounds like the same sound. Please advise on what you find Saturday. The car works fine but I am not sure if I should be concerned by the sound. Usually sounds are not a good thing.

Coldsteel120
I pulled the pan and valve-body, couldn't find anything. I suspect it is either a busted turbine blade in the converter or something in between the converter and the transfer case. Either way, it's internal and has to come out. I'm just going to drive mine and push it into neutral when I have to stop at a light or for traffic, as the noise quits when the trans is in neutral or park.

Steelworker