CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1991 Dodge Spirit

Smells problem
1991 Dodge Spirit 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

Check engine light comes on along with check gauges light. When I run heat it'll be slow coming on then it suddenly kicks on to high heat full blast. Gauge for battery goes from 12 to 8 volts. I can't figure out whats wrong.
Sms1798@hotmail.com

Have your alternater checking for proper output.

Thanks will have alternator checked, its a 1992 dodge spirit and voltage meter goes to 8 and sometimes will bounce back to 12. They say check engine light means it has to do with the emmissions - could it need an O2 sensor? Sms1798@hotmail

Check engine light is emissions.

Checking the codes in the computer would be a good idea. Although I think it is a by-prouct of the alternater not adequetly charging. The volt meter fluctuation is the biggest concern at this point. THe alternater has to be test when the symptoms are present.

The O2 sensor has to do with fuel/air ratio. I don't believe that this one illuminates base on mileage for an o2 change.