STALLS

1988 Dodge Ramcharger

1988 Dodge Ramcharger V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 198, 00 miles

WHEN I START MY TRUCK IT RUNS FINE I DRIVE 25 MILES TO WORK ABOUT 20 MILES INTO THE DRIVE MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND I SMELL FUEL THE TRUCK HESITATES UNTIL I SHUT IT OFF AND PUT IT IN NEUTRAL AND HIT THE BRAKE THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT GOES OFF START THE TRUCK UP AND RUNS FINE AFTER WORK STARTS UP FINE DRIVE ABOUT A HALF OF A MILE TO THE STOP SIGN AND IT STALLS WHILE AT THE LIGHT STARTS RIGHT UP AND 25 MILES HOME AND GET OFF THE EXIT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND FUEL SMELL AGAIN EVERYDAY IT LIKE THIS BUT RUNS NICE AND SMOOTH UNTILL THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON NEW FUEL PUMP FILTER
Mothy6969

Have you had the computer scanned for codes? Most parts stores will do it for free. Let me know what code they find. To me, it sounds like a weak pick-up coil in the distributor because of the fuel smell. Have you checked for leaks?

The 1988 Ramcharger was the last year without a computer and was carbureted.

Vincecooks