NO BUS CODE

2001 Dodge Ram

2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 11500 miles

Hello and thanks in advance.
brief background- Father and I removed transmission and changed torque converter. Truck started and was running fine during fluid fill up, I actually turned it off and restarted several times. When the fluid level was believed to be correct, and we could feel the transmission engage in both reverse and drive. I backed the truck up about 15 feet to turn around then I decided to shut it off to check/make sure that the transfercase was in 2-high before driving down the road. I ran the shifter on the transfercase through the four different gears and made sure that I was indeed in 2-high and when I tried to start it back up I could not. The motor would turn over but not start. I had no readings at the gauges and could not hear the fuel pump turn on at all. I then looked at the odometer and read the words " no bus". I have since looked up what that phrase means but am very curious to know how what happened in the time I shut the truck down to check the position of the transfercase shift lever and the failed restart.

I have not had a whole lot of time to spend working on this problem with my busy work schedule, but the one thing that I do want to do before continuing the work on my truck is make sure that the electrical and sensor connections at the transmission are good and at the same time replace a wire/plug that was damaged by a jack malfunction at the front axle during the torque converter change. I am not sure if this damaged wire came into play during my transfer case run through of the gears or not but is seems like a good baseline to have before proceeding any further.
Covert_opps

The CCD bus is the communication system between all the modules on the vehicle.(Powertrain control module, transmission control module, air bag module, body control module, etc.) When either the connection between the modules or a module itself has an open or short the ENTIRE communication system goes down(No BUS on the odometer will indicate this) The PCM checks on the other modules and the system integrity all the time. The easiest way to find out whether or not you have a module not responding or a link between it is to one by one un-plug a module. With a module un-hooked, clear the codes and see if the CCD bus is back up. If it is, you found your problem. If not, plug it back in and try another. CCD bus problems are found by this method.

The pcm and cluster can not be tested in this way as they provide ground. I have run into an issue with a PCM that went down when temperature affected it. This can be confirmed by removing the pcm, putting it in the freezer and then re-installing to confirm. I have heard of cluster circuit boards with bad solder points. But since this problem is new and happening after the work you did, first recheck anything that was unplugged and possibly damaged or corroded.