WILL NOT START

1998 Dodge Ram

1998 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 198000 miles

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD 5.2L Automatic will not start but the ignition does turn over. New battery in place also. It does not fire at all but I do have spark. I replaced the ASD and that did not help. I was wondering if it is a fuel pump/clogged fuel line issue and how I would go about checking that. Also I need a special tool to uncouple the fuel line where it joins the fuel rail. I have been unable to locate that tool.

The truck was running fine prior to this problem. I tried to start it, it fired and I released the ignition but then it promptly died. It only ran for probably 2 seconds.

Thanks for your help. If I can get this figured out I will send you some more dinero!
Berrio3443

If you have spark, the ASD relay is working. Listen for the hum of the fuel pump when you turn on the ignition switch. It should run for one second, then turn off. If you don't hear it run, bang on the bottom of the tank. That will often get it started. You might have to bang on the tank while a helper is cranking the engine. After that one second burst, the pump should run again when the Engine Computer sees engine rotation, (cranking or running). The fact that the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay turns on and you have spark proves the computer knows the engine is rotating.

It probably ran that couple of seconds due to stored fuel pressure in the fuel line. The pumps will rarely quit working while they're running. They typically fail to start up due to worn brushes in the pump's motor. At the mileage you listed, it's past due to need a pump.