FUEL PUMP

2004 Dodge Neon

2004 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

While driving my 2004 Dodge Neon, upon initial acceleration, the fuel gauge would drop down to the red level and the low-fuel light would come on, then the gauge would move back up to where it should be and the light would go back off. Prior to this the car had been running a little rough (like needing a tune-up on an older car would feel). There was about 1/4 tank of fuel in the tank at the time of this problem. I realize the fuel pump is in the tank. The repair shop wants $1100.00 to replace the pump (the part alone is $300.00). That is really a lot of money in this economy and I can't replace it myself since the tank needs to be dropped according to the repair manuals.
My question is. Can I prolong replacing it by keeping the tank full of fuel?
Spencenvickie

I don't know the exact procedure for dropping the gas tank on a dodge neon but just because it's a tank don't be scared to do it. Get a good manual and see how hard it is. I have personally dropped tanks several times to change out a fuel pump (On a suburu they wiesely put the pump in the engine compartment-what a breeze). Anyway, it's smelly, hard, and a nast job but it can be done and it's usually not very complicated. The reason it's so expensive is because it's smelly and hard but you can save big bucks doing it yourself. Though you will need a " stick with it" helper. Take a look at the steps in a manual and then prepare meticulously with the tools you'll need and give yourself at least two days the first time you do it.

Pinejb